Saturday, August 23, 2008

Good Housekeeping

One surprising thing I've discovered since getting married is that I really enjoy keeping a clean house. Household chores were never really my thing... My parents can attest to the fact that I rarely did my own laundry before leaving home, my room was perpetually messy, and I would avoid doing dishes like the plague. However, I find that these days I not only do these things regularly, but joyfully!

Have no fear, this change of heart has nothing to do with me settling into a permanent state of housewifery. Soon enough I'll be out and working again. No, I think it has much more to do with my deep desire to serve my husband and friends by always being able to welcome them into a home that is warm, clean, and comfortable. I employ the senses in my quest - making sure everything is soft and smelling good, and that there is always something tasty brewing in the kitchen. =^)

It struck me earlier today as I was cleaning out my shower drain (nightmare!) how much filth we naturally produce, and how much effort it takes to really keep things nice and tidy. This is the natural way of things - not only physically, but emotionally and spiritually as well. If left to our own devices, we can really make a mess of things.

I've been concentrating on making one special man feel at home here in this apartment, while there is another, more important Someone in my life who was invited to make a home in my heart quite some time ago. How hospitable have I been to Him lately? Does He really feel at home, or is He more like a long-term guest I only spend time with because I feel obligated? Is my heart the clean, inviting, mature space that I work so hard to cultivate around me? Or is it more like a college dorm room - cold, juvenile, and full of miss-matched odds and ends? (I shudder to think of a heart being maintained like some of my neighbor's dorm rooms!!)

More importantly, do I treat my relationship with Him as a priority? Do I spend as much quality time with Him as I do with James? Heck, do I spend as much quality time with Him as I do with my television? =^/

Sadly, I think the honest answer to these questions is no, I have not been working very hard on maintaining my inner-life. (I suspect that this, more than my unemployment, is the source of my recent lethargy). But luckily, my House Guest has been faithful and has not abandoned me, despite my insistence that He live on spiritual Easy Mac. I think this blog will be one of many things happening in my life right now that will help me work on repairing that relationship, and move toward having a cleaner, brighter, and more peaceful interior.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We love reading your writings! Such wisdom and clarity combined with genuine charm. Your mother and I are so very proud of both you and James! It's neat to see how your marriage ignites such discussions. Looking forward to future musings.
Love, Dad Z