I've never really been a girly girl who enjoys shopping and spends a lot of time on how they look. For a long time I was sort of a tom boy - always hanging out with guys, never wearing dresses, and never wearing make-up. Because of that, I think I missed out on a lot of those crucial lessons that other girls must have gotten on how to make yourself look nice and feminine. I often joke that I am "girl retarded" because I still don't really know how to style hair or the right way to put on make-up and things like that.
My super-casual appearance worked well in college because there was really never a need to dress up. I figured that I didn't need to impress anybody because I already had a wonderful boyfriend (who lived 1000 miles away) and so I usually just rolled out of bed, threw on some jeans and a hoodie, and braided my hair into pigtails. Kind of pathetic...but people generally seemed to think it was silly in an endearing sort of way...and I could live with that.
But now I find myself in an awkward transition. I'm only 22 and could probably get away with still shopping in the juniors department... But I'm also married and finished with school and trying to start my own business. I don't feel comfortable shopping in the women's department but I'm pretty sure I should move on from the tiny screen printed tees and jeans and try to look a little more sophisticated...
I think my biggest problem is that I was raised to be very frugal and have a really hard time spending money on myself. I watch all of these fashion shoes on TV and cognitively recognize what I should be wearing right now...but I can't bring myself to spend the money required to help my wardrobe grow up. I would be so excited if Stacy and Clinton ambushed me with $5000 to spend on new clothes. First of all, I'm sure I could use their help to figure out how to properly dress and style my body. But also, knowing that I had to spend all that money on myself might help me loosen up when it comes to price tags. Right now I still think $30 is a lot to spend on anything (except electronics ;^).
I guess this time in my life is all about growing up and figuring out how to be an adult. Hopefully as things start to pick up with my photography, I'll have a little extra spending money that I can put toward some much needed style restoration. I think the first thing will be to find a replacement for my poor, hole-y handbag.
2 comments:
I struggled with this after I stopped playing intense sports in high school. I was a complete tomboy and once I didn't have the athlete excuse to live in my adidas pants and team sweatshirts, I struggled transitioning into trying to figure out how to dress - especially since I headed out to LA (total blow to the self esteem - all the girls in their high priced clothing - ha!)
Anyway, I also am tight with my money and I have discovered sale racks are the best and investing in one or two really nice pairs of pants that can be worn with most all my tops. Old Navy and Gap have good sales and also I'd advise talking to people working at the stores you look at for clothing advise... usually the adult women are great. haha. Oh man, I know how you feel...
One store I have in Mind for you dear is ROSS... Ross is a Girls BEST FRIED when it come to buying Cheap Clothes that can make you look GOOD! I personally bought 5 shirts(Dressy shirts included) and like 4 hoodies for like $120. thats about $13.34 per item... :-) And Whenever your in the Springs Next you should look up my mom and ask her how to keep most of your length(since i know you like it like you length... But you may have to make the change! You could ALWAYS Donate your hair to Locks of Love!) and how to keep a "In style Look" and you can totally tell her that your style inept she will understand since she has to deal with me... hahaha! So she will teach you how to use your products and tools... :-) You CAN Do it!
Post a Comment