Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Great Books

I read the second chapter of Chip Ingram's book, 'Good to Great in God's Eyes,' today and was pleased to find that this great Christian practice is one that I already very much value. "Read great books." This may sound rather self explanatory, but in discussing the many books which have impacted him over the years, Ingram was able to argue that reading quality Christian literature will get you better acquainted with God's Word, broaden your view of the world, sharpen your mind, inflame your heart, develop your skills, and heal your soul. Cool, huh?

I thought it was fascinating seeing how he could trace his spiritual development through the books he has read, and thought I would try to do the same. If you haven't read any of these books yet, I HIGHLY recommend them. =^)

THE PRAYER OF JABEZ FOR TEENS - Bruce Wilkinson
This little book was given to me by my grandparents on September 13, 2001. Note the date. That was a time of significant change for me...I was less than a month into my freshman year of high school and trying to figure out how I fit into such a big place. I had had a big falling out with friends at the end of eighth grade and was trying to pick up the pieces of broken relationships while forming new ones. It also happened to be 2 days after 9/11 when our entire world changed through an act of violence. It was in the midst of this overwhelming period where I was struggling to redefine who I was and where I was headed that I first read this famous little prayer. It helped inspire me to take my faith more seriously and to allow my relationship with Christ to influence my daily life. Wilkinson begins the book by asking the question: "Are you ready to do one thing today that could change your life from ordinary to extraordinary?" If you've never read 'The Prayer of Jabez' (for teens or the adult version) I would definitely encourage you to pick up a copy. It could change your life!!

IN HIS STEPS - Charles M. Sheldon
This book was given to me as a high school graduation gift by my youth paster, Jill. I'll admit I was a bit taken back at first because it looked like an outdated book written by an old guy in the 1800's. How could that possibly apply to me - a young, modern, ambitious girl? Oh how wrong I was! Turns out that 'In His Steps' is the book that inspired the WWJD movement. It's a fictional story written about a pastor who challenges the people in his church not to do anything for an entire year without first asking themselves what Jesus would do in their place. Each person who commits to do this faces serious consequences as they decide to make changes in their lives that their more "worldly" friends and neighbors strongly disapprove of. Families split apart, people loose their jobs and have to sometimes give up on their dreams in order to live as they believe God would want them to. But, at the end, you see how powerfully God can work through those who are willing to "lay down their lives, pick up their crosses, and follow in His steps."

I've read this book many times now, and it never fails to move me to action! I think it would be awesome to have a group of people read it and take the challenge seriously and see how God would work through them. All you have to do is keep asking yourself: "What would Jesus do?" (And no, you don't have to wear a tacky bracelet. ;^)

WHEN GOD WRITES YOUR LOVE STORY - Eric and Leslie Ludy
When I was a senior in high school I was in a serious relationship with a non-Christian guy. He was great and treated me very well and, for a while, I thought he was the one. However, after undergoing a major back surgery the summer after I graduated, and consequently having to wrestle with some of life's toughest questions, my faith had a serious growth spurt and I realized that I needed a man in my life who took God as seriously as I was beginning to. Thus, I went through a painful break up and began to search for my perfect partner.

This book by Eric and Leslie Ludy is an excellent book on Christian dating. They argue that by following the contemporary model for guy/girl relationships, you are settling for less than God has created us for. He loves us and has an amazing love story planned out for us if we will only trust Him to lead the way. As it says in the intro: "If you will trust Him enough to give Him the pen of your life, you are in for a journey that will forever spoil you for the ordinary. it's a journey on which you will discover perfect love and pure romance as it was TRULY intended to be."

I would recommend this book, or any other book by the Ludys, to those who are longing for love, or who are trying to figure out how to make your current relationship the best that it can be. They have books for girls, guys, and this one which speaks directly to both. They also have a handful of fabulous marriage books. 'The First 90 Days of Marriage' was very helpful for us as well!

COLD TANGERINES: CELEBRATING THE EXTRAORDINARY NATURE OF EVERYDAY LIFE - Shauna Niequist
This is probably one of my favorite non-fiction books ever. It was given to me by my mother-in-law as a graduation gift from college, and has been a big help to me as I have started out my new life as a married woman. It is very easy, when stepping out into the real world, to get discouraged or stressed out and forget to take note of the good things God is doing in our lives. In this book, Niequist tells short stories from her life that help to illustrate how God is working through her and slowly but steadily revealing His truths to her. It's such an encouraging book and I hope that all the ladies out there will read it and answer this call for celebration!!

CELEBRATION OF DISCIPLINE - Richard J. Foster
This final book is a must-read for all people who are serious about spiritual growth. I spent a lot of time reading and rereading it this summer as I prepared for my talk on spiritual disciplines and how they can help you thrive in college at the IV Fall Retreat in October. In his original book proposal, Foster said that "this book is for all those who are disillusioned with the superficialities of modern culture, including modern religious culture." He argues in this book that there is so much more we can get out of life than what the world or most contemporary churches have to offer. In order to truly live, we need to dive deeper into the spirit - and a great way to do that is by practicing some of these age-old disciplines. I was very convicted by the things I learned in these pages and am continuing to put them into practice in my life.

* * *

Well...those are just a few of the many books that I have read and loved. And, even though I already have a stack of new books that I want to read, I'm always open for new suggestions. If you've been deeply impacted by a book on faith, please share so I can build up my to-read list even more!!

No comments: