Sunday, May 8, 2011

Towada Modern Art Museum

Last Friday I took a day trip with a couple of friends to look at cherry blossoms and check out the Towada Modern Art Museum. I had seen pictures of the goofy sculptures out in front of the museum on several of my friend's facebook pages but hadn't been yet, so I was excited to go on yet another Japanese springtime adventure!


I learned while we were down there that Towada City is significant in Japanese history because that is where they bred the Samurai horses! They are very proud of their heritage and have decorated their downtown with all kinds of horse motifs. The ones below are metal sculpture heads on top of concrete barriers at the edge of a blocked-off driveway.

We were not allowed to take pictures inside the museum, but we had fun taking silly pictures in front of the giant, colorful sculpture in the park across the street. The museum itself was actually very impressive. They have several exhibits by notable international artists. Who would have thought you would find stuff like this in the middle of Northern Japan?


After the museum, we walked around the downtown area and ended up in the park where they hold a special festival where women do archery on horseback. We also found what looks like an outdoor sumo ring down there and are planning on finding out more. We were under the impression you have to travel to Tokyo in order to see live sumo, but it would be awesome if we could see it only 30 minutes away! This was a week day so not much was going on. But we entertained ourselves by taking lots of pictures (as usual.) =^)


I am thankful for friends who invite me out to experience the local culture and make memories while we're here. It was a welcome reprieve from my hectic schedule lately!

No comments: