Thursday, July 11, 2013

Full Term!

Today is a huge answered prayer! After wondering for years whether or not I'd be able to have a baby naturally or carry it to full term due to my spinal surgery, we have arrived at that blessed pregnancy milestone! While Baby Wentzel is not due to arrive till early August, at 37 weeks, he is now considered full term and has the green light to arrive whenever the time is right.

At my 36 week check-up last week, the doctor said everything is continuing to look great. He is head down (though he still likes to pivot around and move in all kinds of crazy ways), the placenta is not blocking his exit, and he still has plenty of amniotic fluid to keep him healthy and cushioned for a few more weeks. I showed my back x-rays to the anesthesiologists to ensure they're prepared to care for me in the event I need an emergency C-section. They confirmed everything I've already known about how my spinal fusion would limit my pain management options during labor. But as James and I are determined to deliver this baby naturally with no medication (if possible), their "bad news" didn't bother me. Finally, I filled out the pre-registration paperwork now that I'm far enough along to be admitted on base. (If you go into labor prior to 36 weeks, they send you to an off-base hospital because they don't have a neonatal intensive care unit on base.)

Getting all of that out of the way was a huge load off of our shoulders. Now we're just praying that he'll stay put until next week when I move up to the Dragon Hill Lodge. Since the military hospital is an hour away (in good traffic), they have expecting mothers from Osan and the southern bases stay at the hotel on the army base starting at 38 weeks so they don't have to travel very far after they go into labor. This waiting period is called "stork nesting".

In some ways, it's inconvenient to not be at home with your husband during this critical period. But considering they put you up in the super nice military resort in downtown Seoul for free, I can't complain too much. The rooms are comfortable, there are several restaurants in or near to the hotel, and when it's too hot to walk around outside the hotel has a nice pool, spa, and indoor gym where I can go to gently try and coax this little dude out. James will join me on weekends, and be ready to hop on a bus when he gets the call saying that it's time!

It's crazy to think that we could become parents at any time! They say that first pregnancies tend to go beyond their projected due date, so I'm prepared to wait another 4 or 5 weeks... But things in that region are definitely starting to change and move so we'll see. I feel like he's sitting lower and, as time goes on, I'm starting to experience some of the early pre-labor symptoms like braxton hicks (practice contractions) and pain and discomfort in my lower abdomen and back due to the building pressure. Nothing intolerable, but I'm definitely starting to get more uncomfortable and time goes on. Regardless, we can't wait to meet him and start this next chapter of our lives as a family of three!

No comments: