One of the talks that I will be giving is about creating a contagious witnessing community at SIUC. As I've reflected on what this means, I am repeatedly reminded of a powerful scene from one of my new favorite movies - The Bucket List. Starring Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson, the movie tells the story of two terminal cancer patients who agree to live it up before they kick the bucket. Far more than just an enjoyable film, The Bucket List is a moving example of how deeply we can impact the lives of others simply by loving others as Christ loved us.
Half way through the movie, these men have a pivotal conversation while visiting the pyramids in Egypt. Freeman's character - who is something of a "know it all" - explains that the Egyptians had an interesting belief about death. They claimed that when you get to the gates of heaven, the gods ask you two questions, and how you answer determines whether or not you get in. First question: Have you found joy in your life? Second: Have you brought joy to others? The filmmakers believe that, as you get older, your life becomes all about these two questions. What have you accomplished, and - more importantly - what have you done to help others?
That is why I am drawn to this quote as I plan out this talk. It emphasizes that, although our culture pushes you to focus only on your own fulfillment and success, what ultimately matters is much bigger than that. We were put on this earth to further God's purpose, and to help others experience the profound freedom and joy that comes with accepting His grace.
At the end of the film, you get to see how deeply these two men were impacted by this unlikely friendship. At one point, Nicholson says of Freeman: "He saved my life, and he knew it before I did. I'm deeply proud that this man found it worth his while to know me. In the end, I think it's safe to say that we brought some joy to one another's lives."
They were complete strangers who had nothing in common except the fact that they were both about to die. But because they chose to open up and share their lives - both the good and the bad - with one another, they were able to change each other for the good. Ultimately, the film is not about the adventures they had or how much they were able to do before the end, but about their relationship and how God was able to work through their conversations to bring these two lost souls home.
I've had my own bucket list for a while now, but I think I need to reevaluate it. While I still think it would be awesome to visit New Zealand or make a feature film, I can't think of anything more rewarding than to know that I was able to affect even one person's life like that.
3 comments:
Kim....I really think this is great. The use of this film is perfect! I like where you are going with this! Feel free to challenge the students to specific applications/actions.
I just ran across these quotes from the book I am reading by Henri Nouwen (book: compassion) ...not sure if they will help you or not...
"Both sameness and uniqueness can be affirmed in community. Wehn we unmask the illusion that a person is the difference she or he makes, we can come together on the basis of our common human brokeness and our common need for healing...."
"We often think that service means to give something to others, to tell them how to speak, act, or behave;but now it appears that above all else, real, humble service is helping our neighbors discover that they possess great but often hidden talents that can enable them to do even more for us than we can do for them."
These are the kind of ideas that I have been going over again and again as I try to prepare myself for a service role. Especially that quote that Patrick mentioned (the last one). The best way for me to take part in national service is going to be doing what I can for those who need aid and being open and forming real connection with those that I meet. Sometimes I forget that the most important part of giving of yourself is really giving ALL of yourself. You can't just bury yourself under a hard hat and a hammer for a couple hours on a Saturday. You must commit everything and connect with those around you. Great thoughts!
I'm glad you've been reading and thinking about all I've written. Always nice to have readers who turn it into a discussion. =^)
Post a Comment