We've talked about it, and it's just not practical for me to get a job right now because we only have one vehicle and, due to the unpredictable nature of James' schedule, I can't rely on him for rides. I'm still trying to do the whole photography thing but, while they may seem interested in what I do at the time they meet me, people do not seem interested enough to pay me for my services. It's very frustrating.




Because I can't work right now, I've turned to other things in search of something fulfilling to do. James and I have joined a couple's Bible Study on Sunday nights which is going really well and is definitely the highlight of my week. James has suggested I take advantage of all this free time and focus on writing. We've been tossing around some ideas for topics to pursue but I haven't found the right thing to dive into just yet. It may be a screen play or a book or a memoir. I guess you'll have to stay tuned for more on that...
One good thing that has come of this ravenous desire to do something productive each day is that I've started exercising again. When I was in school I could walk three miles with a heavy bag on my back and not feel a thing, but this summer (partially due to the heat and partially due to my messed-up feet) I quit taking regular walks. I never really worry about my weight, but I quickly "got out of shape" to the point where it was a chore to walk up the stairs that lead to our apartment. As luck would have it, I finally got to the point where I can wear closed-toed shoes earlier this month and the weather has cooled down to a manageable 75 or 80 degrees during the day. Consequently, I have made a commitment to go out and walk a little bit every day. Already I've gotten to the point where I can walk between one and two miles before I need to quit!

There is a little park near our apartment complex where I go to walk in the mornings. It's not much to look at... just a paved oval that runs for a half-mile around some natural Texas landscaping (meaning dry, prickly brown stuff). However, the more time I've spent out there, the more I've come to appreciate it. It's surrounded by houses on each side, but during the day it's very quiet because everyone is at work or school. Right now, the weather is gorgeous (warm sunshine with a cool breeze) and I try to stay out as long as my muscles will allow just so I can drink it all in. Thankfully it's too late in the season for mosquitoes, but there are a ton of little grasshoppers and butterflies that keep me company. And although the landscape as a whole is unremarkable, there are little patches of yellow flowers and bright green cacti that always draw my attention and make me smile.


I was reflecting on all this yesterday during a particularly long walk, and realized that this park is a lot like Del Rio itself. It's often overlooked except by those who already know where it is. It's small, simple, and generally unremarkable as far as parks go, but if you spend some time there, you'll notice it has some modest charm. Because it's just a big loop, it can seem monotonous and repetitive. But there are little bursts of color and life that can spice up your walk if you take the time to look. It's often the small things that make the difference, so although James and I are very much looking forward to a change of scenery, we're committed to making the most of Del Rio while we're here.

1 comment:
I can definitely relate to that feeling of being weighed down by constant inactivity. I will often break up the monotony just by driving into town to a small little coffee shop and sit and read. Having some interaction with others really helps me. I know that I have plenty of free time and plenty of "projects" that I would enjoy working on, but there is still this nagging feeling: I get bored and often feel tired and un-enthused about taking on these things.
I am glad that you have come to appreciate things--small or big! Think about you guys often!
Post a Comment