Yesterday, we went to the grocery store and picked out two pumpkins. (I got a little one because I thought it was cute!) We also got a cheap carving kit, a couple of candles to put inside, and a pumpkin pie that we can enjoy while we hand out candy to trick-or-treaters on Friday night. I've also been scouring the TV guide for any fun (not scary) Halloween movies that we can DVR and watch throughout the week. So far we've watched 'The Mummy", Tim Burton's "The Corpse Bride" and "Hocus Pocus".
Of course, being the crazy, creative types that we are, we were not satisfied with merely carving goofy faces on our pumpkins. No, we spent several minutes on the computer designing our own patterns with tracing paper, and then spent the better part of the afternoon meticulously etching them onto our orange palates. I chose to do the Harry Potter logo because it was simple enough to do on a small surface but still relates to movies and has a Halloween-ish feel. James on the other hand did a stunningly shaded cut-out of an F-16 fighter jet on the front of his. I can't believe that he pulled it off...but I suppose that, if any one could do it, he could! I can't wait to light them up on Friday and see everyone's reaction. Now our only problem will be figuring out how to top that next year!
1 comment:
I know exactly what you mean! I love celebrating holidays! I am very much an autumn fan and love Halloween! Not the gory-scary-nasty Halloween, but rather the history of All Hollow's Eve and the feel of a festival in the fall! I am also the chief decorator in my family.
I am going to pick up some pumpkins this week! My current idea is to buy several in various sizes to assemble a "night sky" setup. A large, detailed moon and several others with stars on them!
Love yours as well!
Post a Comment