Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Flakes...

I was reflecting on the long, drawn-out, sweaty affair that was my high school graduation today, and I realized something quite interesting. I don't know who it was that put together the program... They were clearly not someone who had to attend the ceremony, because no one in their right mind would do that to themselves. (Although, I suppose it is possible that they were not in the right mind. But I digress...) You see, in addition to the 500+ names that had to be read out, we had to sit through something like 13 speeches and three musical performances, all in the stifling hot Field House on the Air Force Academy base. It was miserable.

Of course, I have many happy memories from that day. But I wondered if I could remember anything from all of the terribly boring but (I'm sure) well-meant rambling. Of the two hours of talking, I remember two half-sentences. That's terrible. However, these two snipets of thought are very personally significant so I suppose I walked away from that day with what I needed.

First, I remember the principal mentioning that someone from our class had won an Emmy. I was both extremely proud of having done something noteworthy, and extremely irritated that he didn't think it was necessary to mention my name. Second, I remember that my good friend Molly was the class elected speaker and talked about snowflakes and how they are all small but unique. I remember that, at the end of her speech, she said:

"...So find yourself among the flakes."

I suppose it caught my memory because it was so witty. Yes, she was talking about snowflakes... But she was also commenting on how so many people in the world are adrift and purposeless and, therefore, flakes. That was just like Molly. She had a wonderfully sarcastic sense of humor (probably why we got along so well.) But, she deserved the highly coveted spot as our class speaker because the thought is very insightful for a high schooler. I remember feeling bad that her speech was kind of overshadowed by all the other boring talks. BUT, it felt great to write her a message earlier today and tell her that hers was the only one that stuck with me.

"Find yourself among the flakes." Find what it is that makes you unique and embrace it. I think I'm painfully and joyfully aware of what it is that sets me apart from those around me. However, I do not yet feel that I've fully put it to use. The "real" or "adult" world has barely scratched the surface of the mack truck that is Kimberly Zuercher Wentzel. I am a uniquely designed little snowflake who is still floating in space...hesitant to land and establish myself in any one place just yet. I guess I'm waiting to find the place where I'll make the biggest impact...the one small push that will start an avalanche.

Right now I don't see what that would be here in Del Rio. I have looked on my own and failed to find something meaningful to do while I'm here. So, I'm finally going to give up and do what I should have been doing all along: handing the reigns over to the One who is capable of making something of my uneventful life. So, be praying for me as I open myself up to whatever it is that God wants me to be doing right now. After all, He put us in Del Rio for a reason. I'm just still at a loss for what that is.

If you have any ideas or insights to offer, I'm all ears. I need all the help I can get!

1 comment:

Kelly Z said...

As my wise Sunday-school teacher says, "we live life forward but we understand it backward"! Kim, I am sure this present time in Del Rio is all in God's great plan for your life. No one's life can truly be "uneventful" (though it may appear that way as we are experiencing it) if we are seeking and trusting for God's direction.
Also, I just think of all the lives you are touching through sharing your thoughts in this blog...you may never know what seeds of new ideas and positive insight might be planted in someone else's mind as he/she reads about your experiences.