Monday, July 6, 2009

4th of July Weekend

This was a special weekend indeed! First of all, James and I got to celebrate Independence Day together for the first time in our three and a half years together. Second, we were able to spend a lot of time with our friends Caleb and Jordan who just arrived in Phoenix late Thursday night. It's been great getting to help them out as they are starting the process of house hunting and figuring out how everything on base works. It's also just fun to have another great Christian couple to hang out with, now that they are married and all.

Friday night we took them out to dinner at In-N-Out Burger (a must considering Jordan had never been before. I'm glad to report that she loved it!!) Then we went back to our house and talked for several hours. We talked a lot about married life, church involvement and our hopes for the future. It was so refreshing to have a deep discussion like that after a long stint of minimal social interaction. Jordan said that she will definitely want to hang out a lot, and we may even start a small ladies Bible Study together which would be so much fun!

Saturday was very laid back. Caleb and Jordan had some more houses to see so James and I hung out at the house all afternoon, resting and lounging around. I think he enjoyed sleeping in and taking a well deserved break from studying. Then around 6:30 they came over and we all made a big American meal, complete with New York strip steaks, fresh corn on the cob, fruit, chips and salsa, and apple pie for dessert. It was quite tasty, if I do say so myself. =^)

Then, around 8:00 we took off for the big 4th of July celebration that was being held at the Goodyear Ballpark. Apparently they had free, live entertainment starting at 6:00 and going until the fireworks display at 9:35, but we figured we would just go for the best part. While we were there, we met up with one of the other couples from James' class. None of us had really gotten together since that first meet-and-greet bbq so I thought I would send out an email inviting people to meet us there if they didn't already have plans. It was very warm outside (still around 100*) by the time they turned out the stadium lights and started up the music, but I soon forgot my discomfort as the 25 minute display began. We all agreed that it was an impressive show and were glad we went.

The ballpark begins to fill up.

Us with Caleb and Jordan.

Look, the heat made my face match my shirt!

The grand finale begins!

This morning, Caleb and Jordan went to church with us. James and I were a bit nervous about their reaction since we had talked our church up all weekend, but they seemed to enjoy themselves. We're hoping that after visiting a few other local churches they will decide to come back and get involved at Palm Valley so we can all work together with the high schoolers. Jordan said on Friday night that she really wants to find somewhere to start volunteering with youth so I wouldn't be surprised if that's how it works out. But they need to be where they felt called so we'll just keep praying for now. ;^)

No comments: