Friday, July 3, 2009

James's first F-16 solo flight!

It seems like James just started his training a couple of weeks ago, but today it was time for him to have his first solo flight in the F-16!! Just like it was for his T-6 and T-38 solos, I got to go out onto the flight line to take pictures of him getting ready to take off. It is kind of awkward working like this because I always feel like I am in the way, and the restrictions on where I can and cannot stand make it difficult to get the angles I want. But I think I got enough good shots to document everything that went on out there.

We had planned to have me arrive at the squadron just before 11:00 a.m. so I could "step" with him out to the jet. However, I got a phone call from him at 10:35 saying that they had moved everything up by 15 minutes and I needed to get there as soon as possible. I hadn't even finished getting dressed at that point, but luckily we live so close that I was able to make it there in time. One of the other guys in his class, Ryan Wilmes, met with me there, escorted me out, and kindly shouted over the jet noise every once in a while to explain what James was doing. It is always neat to get an idea of what my husband does for a living.

First James does a "walk around" where he thoroughly inspects the jet and makes sure that everything is in working order. Then he climbs up into the cockpit, and organizes all of his "pubs" (publications including the flight plan, maps, and check lists) before putting on his helmet. After that he talks on the radio to the crew chief and other ground control guys, and moves each part of the jet when they ask him to so they can see if all of the flaps are moving as they should. Finally, after he's completely fueled up and cleared for flight, they remove the blocks and guide him out from his spot under the sun shade. After that, he joins up with his flight lead (an instructor who is in a second jet and flies with him to watch his progress.) Then they taxi out to the runway for take off!

This whole process took at least 30 minutes, and although it hadn't yet reached 100* outside, it was blistering hot out on the pavement. After they turned on the engine, I definitely started to sweat and grow uncomfortable...and I was in a tank top and a thin, cotton skirt! I don't know how the pilots tolerate the heat in the layers and layers of fabric they have to wear every day. It will be nice to move somewhere a bit cooler after this.

For the sake of saving space, I've only posted a couple of photos of both James and myself on this blog. But to see all of the best pictures from the day, check out my official photography blog:

http://kzwentzelphotography.blogspot.com/

No comments: