Halloween is a very American holiday - not something the Japanese celebrate. But because of the influence of the base, the local population here in Misawa has started to celebrate as well. Instead of handing out candy on Halloween night, James and I helped our friend Becky Jantz take a group of 20 Japanese kids and their parents trick-or-treating on base.
After that we walked through base housing and did some good, old-fashioned trick-or-treating. It was rainy and cold, but we had fun watching them hop up the steps to each door to collect their candy. There was a group of three little girls who sang songs in harmony as they walked. James and I were amused by their Halloween caroling. Over all it was a great experience, and I hope we were able to be good citizen ambassadors to our Japanese neighbors, and more importantly - good witnesses to a hurting nation. I pray those children will read the gospel books we gave them and be moved by the story of our Savior!
No comments:
Post a Comment