November 20, 2010
I feel a bit adrift now that my journey to New Zealand is finally complete. What do you do after the #1 thing on your bucket list is checked off? For years, whenever I got into a conversation with friends about things we want to do with our lives and they asked the typical question: "If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?" I always had my answer. New Zealand - to see the land where my favorite epic movies were made. But now this massive goal is in the been-there-done-that bin, and I find myself asking: what now?
In a very practical and immediate sense I suppose I can answer that question. In terms of international travel, my next stop will most likely be in Guam. Then hopefully Hawaii and/or Italy to visit friends who feel a lot more like family and will make the long flights well worth my time. I'm excited to see these beautiful places, but I don't think that either of them capture my heart or imagination quite the way that New Zealand did. So I'm still searching for a new dream destination.
It's laughable that I'm even having this problem. I've always been one to shy away from the uncomfortable or the unknown. So until about a year ago when it hit me that I would truly be moving to Japan, I never actually dreamed that I'd get up the guts to leave the country. But now I've caught the travel bug and am itching for the next adventure.
Anyone have any suggestions? Any dreams or stories to tell that might spark my imagination again and keep me looking forward rather than wishing I could go back to New Zealand and holiday there forever?
1 comment:
A lot of movies were/are made here in Hawaii too (defintiely not as epic as LOTR or Narnia) but there's Pirates of the Caribbean and Jurassic Park :) Anyway, I'm not sure that Hawaii will capture your heart quite like NZ did, BUT I've never met anyone who didn't like this place. It sort of has this essence all its own and it makes it hard to leave! I haven't traveled an awful lot but I have found that every new place I go to is different and I love experiencing those differences! Maybe your new bucket list item should be to see the world! ha ha!
Post a Comment