Thursday, April 28, 2011

Praying for Japan

One of the primary reasons I chose to return to the States during the voluntary evacuation was to share the story of what we have been through and to ask more people to join us in praying for Japan. I am still overwhelmed with the incredible opportunities I was given to speak, and for the gracious response. From Colorado to Tennessee to Illinois and back, friends and strangers alike were moved to pray and help out in any way they can.

Some people donated to the Red Cross, either online or by texting "Redcross" to 90999. I've also been trying to spread the word about these pendants a friend of a friend designed. Part of the proceeds are going to help restore a cultural heritage site here near Misawa that was washed away by the tsunami:


The first Sunday when I was home in Colorado, I went to the college and young adult group at First Pres (the group where James and I met, and continue to invest in.) It was great seeing old friends again and seeing how the group has grown. They had just returned from their spring break trip to the Dominican Republic. The college leader, Katie Dayton, opened up the floor to the students so they could share the ways they saw God working down there. They talked about how their theme song for the trip was "Beautiful Things" by Gungor. It talks about how God makes all things new, and raises beautiful things up out of the dust and rubble.

That obviously struck a note with me. At the end, they let me go up and share - asking them to join in with the hope I have for this broken nation. Japan is the least Christian nation in the world, and one of the most difficult missionary fields because of the strong cultural and language barriers. They are a proud people who have a difficult time understanding concepts like self-less love, grace and free gifts. But now, they have been shaken to the core and are suddenly asking those tough questions. Once so guarded - they are forced to interact with Westerners while in this vulnerable state, and are accepting gifts and hand-outs knowing full well there is no way they can repay us. So I've been praying that this will build bridges and begin a spiritual revolution here.

Later that week I was invited to a small group where some of my friends and mentors from the church gather to pray through scripture. I was so humbled when they spent almost 30 minutes focusing on the Japanese people. Here are some of the scriptures we prayed through:

Psalm 46:1-3, 6-8, 10

"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging... Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall, he lifts his voice, the earth melts. The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Come and see the works of the Lord, the desolation he has brought on the earth... Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."

Isaiah 42:3-7, 10, 16

A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out. In faithfulness he will bring forth justice; he will not falter or be discouraged till he establishes justice on earth. In his law the islands will put their hope. This is what the LORD says - he who created the heavens and stretched them out, who spread out the earth and all that comes out of it, who gives breath to its people, and life to those who walk on it: "I, the LORD, have called you in righteousness; I will take hold of your hand. I will keep you and make you to be a covenant for the people and a light for the gentiles, to open the eyes that are blind, to free the captives from prison and to release from the dungeon those who sit in darkness... Sing to the LORD a new song, his praise from the ends of the earth, you who go down to the sea, and all that is in it, you islands, and all who live in them... I will lead the blind by ways that they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them, I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them."

John 11 (The Death of Lazarus)

"When he heard this, Jesus said, "This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God's glory so that God's son may be glorified through it... Lazarus is dead, and for your sake I am glad I was not there, so that you may believe." (4,14)

I was also able to share this with Intervarsity in Carbondale, with my brother and other close friends and family in the midwest, and with my mom's small group and the women's ministry at First Pres. God opened so many doors for His glory so I invite you all to join us in praying! My friend Dave said it best - may this tsunami be viewed in the future as the waters of baptism bringing in Japan's salvation!

No comments: