Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Lupine Festival

 This past Saturday, I drove down to Towada City with my friends Lisa, Laurie and Kelli to see the huge fields of Lupine flowers at a flower farm. I'd been to the farm before, but it was so late in the season that the only thing blooming were the hydrangea bushes. This time, though, there were ALL KINDS of flowers - in HUGE numbers. It was a photographer's dream!


 Before we got to the lupine fields, we found a field full of bright purple irises. We couldn't help wandering out between the perfectly tended rows  of flowers and posing for a couple of shots. Purple is my favorite color so I was in flower heaven. =^)


 Finally, we made it over to the lupine fields. Lupine (for those of you like myself without the gift of a green thumb and know next to nothing about plants) is a tall, cylindrical flower that grows in all kinds of vibrant color combinations. Not only are these flowers very structural and interesting to look at individually, they make for a stunning wide shot.

What I couldn't get over in this place was how colorful it was! For some reason every "Japanese" garden I see in the States is very sculpted with somber and monochromatic greenery and a coy pond. But Japan is FULL of flowers in every color of the rainbow. Some flowers that are as big as my face! Too bad the world somehow misses out on this definitive part of Japanese culture.

 What a fantastic way to spend a morning. =^)

No comments: