Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Transitions

One of the greatest blessings we've had during our time here in Misawa has been the couple's Bible Study we attend on Sunday nights. I love being involved in the base chapel, but I often feel it's a bit lacking in substance on Sunday mornings. This is our true fellowship group here - the people I most enjoy studying, praying, laughing and crying with.

It's been an interesting year for this Bible Study because most of the current members are in the 13th, our sister squadron. As a result, 80% of the men have been absent for the last 8 or 9 months. I'm sure there were more conversations rooted in spouse-centric stuff, and a lot more tears, than the few remaining dudes were entirely comfortable with. But they hung in there, and are now VERY thankful to have some more men in the house!

Just as we were enjoying saying hello again to many of our friends, we are entering PCS season and facing the prospect of them leaving. A couple of weeks ago, we said farewell to Ch. Rick and Renee Beyea, who have been such a joy and source of wisdom for us. Then this past Sunday we had to say good bye to Jeff and Jackie Schneider, who are some of the few remaining original members of this study from when it began a few years ago. In July and August we will have to say good bye to Mark and Mary Sletten who have done a fantastic job leading many of our discussions, Jim and Julie Ulrich who are some of the sweetest people I've ever met, and Trevor and Jenny Cichowski who always have great thoughts and food to share. =^(


I made sure to get a group photo before Rick and Renee left so we could remember the group as it was after a long period of bonding. I know we'll keep in touch with many of these people in the future!

BUT there is good news as well. We have a couple of solid Christians named Josh and Kristin who just joined our squadron (and our neighborhood!) who joined us for Bible Study on Sunday night. We figured it was a logical time to welcome new people since we FINALLY finished The Truth Project and are diving back into the Word with an investigation of Christian theology in the book of Romans. They fit right in and were so thankful, as we were, to find a group where they can really get fed and build strong friendships with other believers and plan to join the group for good! I am so glad that we'll have a little more Samurai representation! But more importantly, I'm glad that God is continuing to bless this group and keep it going in spite of our crazy, temporary lives. He is SO good.

No comments: