Friday, March 14, 2014

First Fiend Fini Flight

Wow. Try and say that title five times fast. ;^)

This week, I finally got to go out to a fini flight! It seems strange that we've been here for several months, and I haven't been able to go to one yet. But the combination of only having one car (which means I often do not have a vehicle) and the logistics of getting the baby out on the flight line and working around his "nap schedule" (ha) has prevented that so far. Thankfully, now that I've found a good babysitter, I can go to things like this again!

Laura Smith is my fellow shutterbug in the squadron and really wanted to get some good pictures of her husband Tyler's final flight in the F-16. They are headed to Luke AFB in Phoenix where he will soon begin training to fly the F-35. It was a big day for their family. Unfortunately, the weather was not cooperating. We had to wait in a covered haz for the jet to arrive because it was pouring rain outside. The dismal weather didn't dampen our spirits though, and we still got lots of great pictures!

waiting for daddy
 I can't wait to get Kaden a little flight suit and for him to get excited about airplanes!
Large turn out - all waiting in the rain
Lovely ladies sporting our squadron colors!
Waving as Tyler arrived. Unfortunately, a truck got in my way so I missed his reaction.
Big smiles in spite of the less-than-ideal flying conditions
The other pilots got him good...
Yes, our pilot traditions are strange... We hog tie them with duct tape and spray them with water because we love them...
Shaking hands with the commander
James was a part of his final four ship so I got this cool pic
The whole group. Harrumph!
Farewell, Smith Family! You will be missed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Aw, never saw this post. Love it! :)