Thursday, March 19, 2009

Celebrating the End

As the end of our time in Del Rio draws near (less than a month left!!) we find that we have been spending more and more time with friends. Now that James is no longer training we have a lot more flexibility and are able to accept all kinds of invitations for night time fun. Sometimes it will be a casual BBQ on the weekend with the single guys...sometimes it's a big house party for a birthday or holiday...and sometimes someone will have a spontaneous idea for a week night get together. Regardless of the scale, however, each party is memorable and I now have many fun pictures of us doing wild and crazy things with friends.

Last night was one of those spontaneous parties. Our friends Patrick and Ashley Chapman called us up around dinner time and asked if we wanted to get together and celebrate St. Patrick's Day. What was originally going to be nothing more than some drinks and/or dessert out turned into a big Irish fest at our apartment. True, there were only four of us there, but we went as far out as one can go with only an hour to prepare. I made some festive green decorations and set out all of the green and gold food we had. James was excited because we finally got to use the Guinness pint glasses that his friends gave us for our wedding. I played some Celtic music low in the background as we talked and played cards.

(I had a green skirt on, incase you were wondering... ;^)
I think the best part, though, was the mere fact that we're able to do things like that on a week night. I find that I'm often still in school mode and assume that week nights are not times to hang out with people... But we're adults now and (provided we have nothing particularly strenuous or important the next morning) we have the freedom to do whatever we want to! I look forward to entertaining a lot more once we move to Phoenix. We will actually have the room to host more than 6 people at a time, so that's exciting! Finally the party can come to us instead of us having to go elsewhere to join the fun.

Stay tuned over the next few weeks for more accounts of the many fun times we've got planned. We have every intention of properly celebrating the end of our stay in West Texas!

No comments: