In fact, I can only think of one person whom I have ever seen really put their heart and soul into it. My friend Kelsey from SIU is a very committed Catholic and I always took an interest in what she chose to give up each year because I knew that it would be something really difficult, but she would somehow muscle her way through it. (Apparently this year she chose to give up eating in front of the TV, which struck me as a very strange resolution until I really thought about how frequently we young people do that. I don't think James and I have even used our dining room table in the last couple months... =^/ )
However, a thought struck me around the time that Lent began that I took to be a very appropriate challenge, and I'm proud to say I've made it all the way through to the end! (Well...I say that with confidence that I won't break it before Sunday...) I thought about how I have been spending a large amount of time over the last several months indulging in fantasy novels and other pleasurable fiction, and how that volume was very disproportionate to the amount of time I spent reading my Bible. SO - I resolved to only read faith-related books for Lent. Initially I meant that I would only read my Bible or other Christian non-fiction stuff...but one of my mentors from Seekers saw something I had written about that on facebook and reminded me that there are some great works of fiction that focus on faith as well. Thus, I branched out a bit and enjoyed reading through some of my favorite Christ-infused novels as well. Obviously, there were C. S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia, which James and I both read all the way through. But I also revisited Little Women, which is essentially a story of the spiritual growth of four sisters as they try their best to "shoulder their burdens" and follow Christ in their own unique ways. This was one of my favorite books growing up, but somehow I missed just how much the author discusses faith throughout the story. It was also interesting seeing how my reaction to the characters has changed now that I am much older. The parts where the girls are adjusting to married life were particularly touching. =^)
A few days ago I was faced with a dilemma. I had been enjoying reading through some quality non-fiction writings from C.S. Lewis, but felt like I wanted something a little less analytical. However, I wasn't sure what other novels I could justify reading before Easter. Finally, I decided to pick up a book that I have owned for quite some time but have never attempted to read, and that was Ben Hur. I had seen parts of the movie several times and knew that it was supposed to take place during the time of Christ so I figured I would give it a whirl. I was pleased to discover (after getting through the first chapter which is really dense and slow-moving {and quickly reminded me why I hadn't read that book yet}) that the story has a lot to do with Christ and even begins with a unique account of His birth. I'm only 10 chapters in but already I believe that I have chosen the perfect literary work to round out this season of meditation on faith. I doubt I'll finish it before Sunday (what with all of the moving stuff we've got to deal with), but I look forward to gaining a new perspective on the crucifixion when I do.
No comments:
Post a Comment