That's why I was a little frustrated when I received an email from Darius, our youth pastor at Palm Valley, letting us know that they are making some changes to the way small groups are organized that are going to take some time to sort out - so we won't be officially meeting with our kids again till the week of February 9th. =^( That really only gives us 6 weeks of Bible Studies before we need to leave - which is better than nothing, but not really enough time to dig in the way we wanted to.
I was discussing this with our other female leader, Bethany, last week and we decided that, even if we're not officially starting small groups till February, we could start meeting with our three regular girls right now and pour into them as much as possible before we move. We've really been able to connect with them over the past few months, and because they are more spiritually mature than our other Bible Study kids, I think we have an opportunity to challenge them and really help them grow this semester.
So, we decided to take them out to dinner last Friday night to discuss the possibility of starting up a discipleship-type relationship with them - meeting periodically to talk about our faith and life and all that good stuff. They were pleased that we cared enough to do that for them, and are excited to start hanging out with us more frequently. The discussion that night didn't go any deeper than that... (We got a bit side-tracked talking about our weddings. ;^) But I look forward to all the possibilities that lie before us. This sense of urgency that I have about making the most of our short remaining time should help motivate me to make this happen. And, at the very least, I hope that this deeper connection we are building with them will make them want to keep contacting us with their questions and prayer requests, even after we've moved.
No comments:
Post a Comment