Saturday, March 13, 2010

Star-Studded Party and Oscar Dreams

Last Sunday night, in honor of the Academy Awards, James and I threw a little Oscar party at our house. We invited several of our friends to come over, eat, and watch with us. I don't think many of our friends really care about award shows like I do, but they humored me and sat through all four hours of star-studded drama. Some of them even dressed up for the occasion! We had fun keeping score between the heavy contenders, commenting on people's terrible fashion sense, and laughing at the antics of co-hosts Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin. By far the best part of the night was the impressive spread of food we collected. Amazingly, it was almost all gone by the end of the night (and there were only 8 of us!)

One bitter sweet moment was when Katherine Bigelow, the driving-force behind The Hurt Locker, won the award for Best Director. It was a really big deal because no woman had ever won for Best Director - so she'll go down in the record books as the first. I was a little bummed out after that because that was my big dream all through high school and college. I told anyone who would listen how I wanted to become the first woman to win the Academy Award for best director, and how I'd revolutionize the process for making film adaptations, and inspire the world with my work... High aspirations indeed. I'm not really sad that I'm not out in Hollywood trying desperately to find work like some of my college friends... I'm enjoying life right now. But it does kind of make me sad to know that, if I ever do find my way into the movie industry, that particular dream is no longer achievable. Oh well, life goes on...

No comments: