Saturday, June 26, 2010

9 Day Market

One of the cool things about Japan is that they have a ton of outdoor markets and festivals where we can go out and buy fresh produce, flowers, and other goods. One of the best ones here in Misawa takes place on each day of the month that falls on a date with the number 9 in it (9th, 19th and 29th). I have been hearing about this market since we got here and I kept wanting to go but the timing wasn't right until just recently.

My friends Lisa and Derick took me with them last weekend, and showed me the ropes. There were all kinds of booths selling veggies, fruit, flowers, seeds, clothes and other wares. We made a couple circuits to see what they had and which vendors had the best prices, then loaded up. I bought a bunch of apples, carrots and onions - all of which were bigger, fresher, and much better tasting than anything they have at the commissary (not to mention cheaper!). I've used them all this week to make several delicious meals, and look forward to going back again and again and again!

No comments: