Sunday, March 6, 2011

Pepper Lunch

James and I have made a commitment to get out more and make sure that BOTH of us are experiencing the best of what Japan has to offer while we are here. I got to do a lot this summer while he was deployed, but now that he's home I don't want him to miss out! It's not always easy. They work so hard during the week that it's difficult for him to get up the motivation to do much more than sit at home and relax on the weekends. But we've decided to at least go out and try new restaurants, if nothing else.

Yesterday, we took a short road trip down to Hachinohe to walk around the Shimoda Mall, which he'd never been to, and have a little lunch at the Picnic Court (what they call the food court... haha.) There's a restaurant there that people always rave about called "Pepper Lunch" where they pile up some raw meat and veggies in a hot, cast iron dish and as you stir it around with some seasonings it cooks there in front of you! It was pretty tasty, but I'm not sure it quite lived up to the crazy hype. Maybe we just didn't order the best thing on the menu... We'll find out when we go back, which I'm sure we will.


The rest of the mall was interesting as well. Shopping is one of the top Japanese hobbies and so their shopping complexes are always crazy! There are so many stores full of everything from clothes to housewares to books, music instruments, electronics, craft supplies, sporting goods, food and bicycles. They also have a huge arcade, a bowling alley and a movie theater. I haven't actually gone down there to buy anything other than food... But it's always fun to just go people-watch. Definitely a good Japanese day trip. =^)

1 comment:

Waffle said...

Did you put on the yummy sauce hey keep at the counter? That is the secret to Pepper Lunch deliciousness in my book!!