We are just worn out. Obviously, we adults are tired and have a million things on our mind. None of us are sleeping well at night - partly because of the cold, partly because the earth still won't quit shaking, and partly because of questions that keep circling in our brains about our uncertain future. Ever since the Department of Defense announced this "voluntary evacuation for military dependents," we've all been agonizing over this monumental decision. Do I stay or do I go? What are the consequences either way??
But where you really see it is in the pets and young kids around base. Both can sense the tense atmosphere in their homes and I think it's been weighing on their minds and hearts. Many of our friends have dogs and they've told us how their animals have been acting very strangely - skiddish, fearful and overly-needy. Many kids have been starting to get sick - possibly from our cold houses but I'm sure that lack of sleep and general stress is just wearing their little bodies down. Also, a week spent cooped up in the house hasn't been doing any of us good. I've seen two young girls slap their mothers in public! I'm sure many people are thankful that they're going to try and open up the schools tomorrow.
Keep praying for all of us as we weigh these decisions and try to do what's best for our families. We are so extremely fortunate compared with our Japanese neighbors, but it has been a very traumatic experience and we have no idea when it will all be over and we can return to living life "normally."
No comments:
Post a Comment