Thursday, October 25, 2012

Conclusion of James

This summer our youth group split up into small groups to study the book of James and spend some time building stronger friendships. We also took this as an opportunity to push them to grow in their faith. The boys focused on developing and sharing their testimonies while we challenged the girls to memorize the entire book of James by the end of the summer. At first I thought that was a long shot but maybe the competitive spirit would motivate them to memorize some scripture. But I am humbled to report that we had 3 students memorize all 5 chapters, and another get all the way through chapter 3.

Memorization is something I really struggle with. One of the reasons we encouraged our students to work on this was to hold myself accountable to doing the same thing. They totally showed me up, though. I've only gotten through the end of chapter 2 so far. But I'm not giving up! I love the book of James. Not just because I have a certain affinity for the name... ;^) So much hard-hitting, practical wisdom.

No comments: