Thursday, September 3, 2009

Mixing Business and Pleasure in the Rockies

Well, now that I actually have a free afternoon to sit down and think, I figured I should tell you how my trip out to Colorado went. Last fall I got the idea to take a week long trip out there to take senior pictures for Nate and his friends. As it turns out, there were several people with different types of photo assignments for me, so I got quite a bit of experience in a short period of time.

I chose to fly out there during the second week of August because a good friend of mine from the Seekers college group at First Pres was getting married on August 15th. His name is Brian Kester, and the ceremony was held at the USAFA chapel. For those of you who have seen my "Seekers" bachelorette video, he was the nice one who came in second place. (James won. ;^) But Brian was one of the few friends who actually made the effort to drive out to CO for our wedding last May, so I wanted to return the favor. The ceremony was beautiful, and I enjoyed getting to spend a good amount of time with some of my best friends. Melissa Scott, Dave and Claire Thorpe, and Jason Snedeker were there. They were all involved in my wedding in some capacity, so it was great to see them again. You can see all of the pictures of the wedding that I took on my photography blog, but here are a few more personal shots of us throughout the night:


As I said, a big part of the trip was devoted to taking pictures for people. You can see the best shots from each shoot either on my website or the photography blog. I had three senior photo shoots, one family portrait, one engagement photo shoot in downtown Denver, and then I took all of those pictures at Brian's wedding. Over all I took over 1,500 pictures over the course of 5 days.

I think my favorite shoot of the week was my brother's senior portrait session. He really wanted some unique shots, so we spent a few hours walking around Manitou Springs and downtown and having him pose wherever we felt inspired. We found some really cool places that created some beautiful, artistic shots. I think we did a good job of getting a variety of shots that are all very "him," so I hope he likes them.

While the majority of my time in Colorado was devoted to work, I did make sure to spend at least a little bit of time with my good friends who are still living in the Springs. I had a couple of good late night conversations early in the week. On Sunday I got to go to Seekers and then eat out with church friends. On Sunday afternoon I went miniature golfing with my good friend Becca. Also, as it turns out, one of my good friends who went through the video program at Air Academy with me has been hired to teach those classes this year. So I went out and visited him after his first day of school. He took me up to the TV studio and showed me all of the improvements he had made. I was excited to see that the movie posters we had hung in there during my senior year are still there, as is the water pipe we all signed when we graduated. Then we took the picture of us in front of the KDET-TV logo for our former teacher, Mr. Cameron.


Of course, I got to spend a lot of time with my parents, which I enjoyed. My dad took me out to eat several times, and I got to help them pick out a new TV. It's always nice going home and revisiting all of the restaurants, people, places that I love. Oh - and I've got to add that the weather felt AMAZING. It was a much appreciated break from the 110* heat. I look forward to having my family come visit us over Labor Day. Hopefully I can return the hospitality I received, and then some. =^D

No comments: