Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Back into Leadership

Our Sunday night Bible Study is starting a new scripture study on the book of James. It's a refreshing change after doing several topical books. We decided to rotate leaders each week, and I eagerly volunteered to write the intro and questions for chapter 1. Some of the other people in the group were apprehensive about coming up with questions on their own. But since that was something I did weekly in college and taught other IV leaders how to do, I was excited to get the ball rolling.

As I was preparing for the discussion, I realized how much I've missed doing this. I've always enjoyed personally wrestling with a block of scripture and allowing God to show me the hard truths it contains. I love asking tough questions and challenging people to really think and feel. Must be the filmmaker in me - always seeking to inspire! My favorite books of the Bible to lead discussions on are the ones that kind of smack you upside the head, and James definitely falls into that category. We only covered 18 verses in an hour long discussion, but in that hour we talked about everything from the difference between trials and temptation and how to overcome them, to pride and gossip and other specific temptations we as military spouses deal with, to discovering more about God's character and how focusing on His goodness will always overshadow even the worst of situations. Multiple people cried as we shared about our lives and struggles - which I think is awesome because it means that God was really working in those people and making them feel something powerful!

The experience of leading that discussion on Sunday has made me hungry for more. There really isn't anything more exciting or fulfilling than seeing God work! Thankfully, I've already got a gig lined up. I've been asked to co-lead a Bible Study for Protestant Women of the Chapel (PWOC) this fall with our D.O.'s wife Becky Jantz. She has been something of a mentor to me this summer and so I am excited to be working with her. We're going to be helping women learn how to study scripture on their own, using 1 Peter as our material. We start the 2nd week of September. Till then, I suppose I'll just have to keep diving into the Word on my own. =^)

No comments: