Well, the ice and snow continue to accumulate here in Misawa. Here are our current stats: January 2012 snow total: 60.2". Winter season total so far: 106.3". That is less than 20" below our normal annual total of 125.6" and we still have 3 months of winter to go!
We often feel like the snow just doesn't stop falling from the sky. We may get an hour long break before a new snow band blows in and drops another couple of inches... but days where the sky is clear are very rare. Two weekends ago we got over 20 inches. This past weekend I think we got about 8... It's crazy! Thankfully, we have hired a man to help us shovel in the mornings. But even with all he does, James has still spent many afternoons out in the snow trying to prevent our cars from getting buried. The drifts in our yards are almost getting too high to throw snow on top of. Here's a picture from Lisa's yard across the street:
The icicles that normally hang from the roof have now formed into one solid crystaline column stretching from the roof to the ground. It's also about two feet wide at the top. James wants to knock it down so an earthquake doesn't send it unexpectedly crashing through our sliding glass doors, but I think the ice is beautiful and would hate to see it go.
I took some pictures of it to preserve our natural sculpture far beyond the winter cold:
Several people have been taking advantage of the outrageous powder by skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing or ice climbing every weekend. That's a little too intense for me so I've resorted to taking portraits in the snow. I think our world will be white for quite some time, so my business must adapt. Lisa and Kendall offered to model for me and help drum up some winter photo clients. I think pictures in the snow would be beautiful for an engagement shoot or senior pictures so - here's hoping February will be a profitable month!
To see the full extent of both of their portrait shoots, check out my photography blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment