Thursday, April 11, 2013

Montgomery Life

It was with great relief that we finally arrived at Maxwell AFB in Montgomery, AL late Sunday night, March 17th. We really enjoyed our time with friends and family during those two weeks of vacation. But the baby and I could not wait to get out of that truck and have our own (albeit small and temporary) space again.

We are staying in a single room hotel room within walking distance of James' classes and right across the lot from the gym. The location is nice, but the room is a bit smaller and much less comfortable than we were expecting. We have a small kitchenette with a 2 burner stove top but no oven. So I've had to get creative with cooking our meals. The bed is rather small and hard, which is a challenge for a pregnant lady. But we're making it work. I do think that spending over two months living out of a suitcase in a tiny space will make our transition to living in Korea much easier than it would have been if we went straight from Japan. I think even a not-quite-right Korean apartment will be impressive in comparison to how we've been living. ;^)

Alright, enough griping... We've really been very blessed here. James' training program is going well. He has a great class of officers who are working well together and are achieving success on their assignments. Hopefully they will graduate in May with high scores! We've also enjoyed reuniting with several Air Force friends who have been scattered all over the globe. Some of Misawa friends who are stationed at Maxwell for Air Command and Staff College or War College have gotten us plugged into their church. We've also signed up for a weekly marriage Bible study through the chapel to help us reconnect before the baby comes. My friend Jordan and I have also been taking a prenatal yoga class which is helping keep me strong and healthy as our baby boy is growing. There are many nice shops and restaurants near by and we've taken several fun weekend trips to keep us entertained. Over all, I would say that we are making the most of this experience and time is going quickly. But as my belly swells, I am more and more anxious to fly to Osan and get settled in our own home again.

We're now about half way through S.O.S. Hopefully time will continue to pass quickly so we can jump into the next chapter in our life together and in James' career!

No comments: