Friday, May 10, 2013

Coping With Unwanted Input

As soon as I got pregnant and started sharing the news, people were eager to pass along any advice they could to get us through the next 9 months, not to mention the years of child-rearing to come. At first, the advice was welcome. Who am I kidding? I don't know what I'm doing! But now, I'm finding that some of the unsolicited advice or input, especially from well-meaning strangers, is more frustrating than helpful.

For the most part I've been able to filter out anything that doesn't apply to us. I smile and thank them for their advice and then file that away in the discard bin of my brain. But I must admit, I've had the following conversation with so many well-meaning folks that it's starting to get to me (no joke, I've started counting and it's happened at least 7 times in the last month):

Stranger: "Aww, when is your baby due?"
Me: "August 1st."
Stranger: (stares me up and down in shock) "August? Are you having twins?"
Me: "Nope. Just one big boy!"
Stranger: "Oooh, honey. There is no way you'll make it to August."

I already feel like I'm huge. (Or, at least, that my belly is huge.) I don't need random Southern grannies rubbing it in every time I step outside our hotel room. Even our friends and acquaintances who have a little more tact can't help commenting on how much I've grown between meetings. I'm not just bothered by the references to my rapidly swelling waistline. I know the main reason my bump is so striking is because the rest of me is still so tiny (something most other pregnant women wish for). But it feels a bit like a spiritual attack to have people constantly saying they don't think I'll make it to my due date.

Let me explain. After getting married, I was unsure whether or not we should try to have a baby naturally. For years, I was completely OK with either not having kids or adopting. Between my spinal fusion, tiny frame, and frequent illnesses, I just wasn't confident I'd be able to carry a baby to full term. In the last year, God's done a lot to help me trust Him in this area and has increased my confidence in my body's ability to carry a child. But I admit that a big prayer request since I took that pregnancy test was for His help in carrying the baby till he's fully formed and ready to be born. So you can see why this comment puts me on edge.

Thankfully, James has helped keep me grounded and reminds me constantly that it's not what they think that matters. They don't know what will happen. If anything, this gives us more incentive to pray for and work toward a healthy, full-length pregnancy. That way, He gets the glory for doing something the world views as impossible.

If you'd like to join us in praying for a full and healthy pregnancy, and for mental and emotional protection for me as I continue growing, I'd appreciate it. After all, I may look like I'm about to pop, but we've still got about 10 weeks to go!

1 comment:

Kasia said...

I was there :] "are you sure you're not having twins" oh geez I thought I would punch someone! keep smiling- you are BEAUTIFUL!