All of the other pilots were able to take off on Friday morning, and so we wives have been trying our best to get together and have fun while they are gone. All of the parties and get-togethers have been great because I've made a lot of new friends, and being out of the house with other people definitely lifts my spirits and helps pass the time.
Friday night, our sponsor Sharon Gilmer had anyone interested over to her house for a special Thai themed potluck dinner. She and her husband Andy went on a vacation to Thailand before the deployment, and while they were there, Sharon picked up some cookbooks that she wanted to try. I couldn't eat any of the spicy food, but decided to go anyway and hang out. There were about 10 of us there (with lots of little ones in tow), including a couple of spouses that I hadn't met yet - so that was fun.
Saturday morning we threw a huge joint baby shower with the ladies of the 13th FS for our Commander's wife Jenn Steffens. They were a part of the 13th before her husband got promoted to our squadron commander so there were many, many people who wanted to be a part of this event! Jenn is expecting twin boys (almost unheard-of in the fighter pilot community!!) so the theme of the shower was "Two Peas in a Pod". Sharon made a stunning cake to match all of the napkins and cups, and everyone brought a favorite brunch item to share. Most of our time was devoted to chatting over food, and then watching Jenn open her mountain of gifts. I brought my camera and was asked to take a bunch of pictures so the hosts could put together a nice scrapbook for her. Of course, I was happy to oblige!! There were all kinds of fun plane and Japanese themed gifts. Those boys are going to be very well dressed!! Here are some of my favorite shots. There are more of them on my photography blog or facebook if you're interested!
Only in Japan... ;^)
These were, by far, the crowd pleaser of the day.
One says "SAMURAI" which is our squadron's mascot.
The other says "WOOD" which is what we all say as a toast or
to emphasize something important. SO cute!
Some of my new lady friends!
Sunday, I was invited over to our Key Spouse Deb's house for a How I Met Your Mother's Day marathon on tv. haha. Since there are a bunch of us in the squadron who enjoy this show, we got together and laid around in our pj's eating kettle corn and laughing. Everyone has been so great about calling me up and inviting me to things, so I imagine that I will have all kinds of fun this summer!
No comments:
Post a Comment