
One of the most significant and memorable things that happened this summer took place back in Colorado as opposed to here in Japan. I remember seeing photos that my friends were posting of a wildfire that had sprung up in western Colorado Springs. Colorado is prone to wildfires, but this was the first time there has been a major fire so close to a major city. It was definitely the first time a wildfire had threatened my home. The plume of smoke was formidable, but I took comfort in the fact that there was a large foothill between the fire and their neighborhood. I thought: this is bad, but surely it won't make it all the way down into the city...
However, as the week went on, I found that every morning I woke up to bad news. It kept growing, kept on burning... A deadly combination of draught and high winds was making it impossible for firefighters to contain the fire. But still, the flames stayed behind that ridge.
But then I woke up the morning of June 27 and could immediately tell something had gone terribly wrong. My facebook news feed was completely filled with panicked posts and horrific pictures of the flames racing down Blodgett Peak and into the city. My parent's neighborhood was evacuating and it looked as if they would lose their house if things continued progressing as they had.
It was terrifying and stressful for my brother and I, as well as all of our military friends with ties to the city, who had to watch helplessly from a distance as our beloved hometown was burning. I now understand how our families and friends felt as we were enduring the earthquake and tsunami. It's a terrible feeling, knowing loved ones are in danger and there is nothing you can do but pray. I was glued to the Gazette page, tracking the fire as it ravaged the Mountain Shadows subdivision and drew ever closer to the neighborhood where I grew up.
 |
| This photo was taken at the Papa Murphy's near my parent's house. Unreal! |
That afternoon we had to welcome our guys back from their TDY to Las Vegas, and I had a hard time putting on a smile when I greeted him at the jet. It was right as I was leaving for the squadron to pick him up that things really took a turn for the worst. They issued an evacuation order for my parent's neighborhood but I was unable to get a hold of my parents to verify that they were OK. Thankfully, I was able to get my brother on the phone and he assured me that they got out OK and were staying at a hotel across town. Even after that good news, I was still a wreck. Reportedly, my parents had a great attitude and had taken everything with them that they could. But my mom's piano was still in that house, and I couldn't believe that we might lose it. So my friends had to comfort me while I broke down in the middle of the squadron bar. Thankfully, James was home and able to walk through the emotions with me.
 |
| Homes in a near by neighborhood burning |
 |
| Families evacuating from my neighborhood |
As a military member, I was proud to see how the Air Force stepped up to help protect people. Below is a photo of some C-130's from Peterson dropping fire retardant. I am SO thankful for all of the men and women - especially our firefighters - who worked so tirelessly to protect our homes.
 |
| Scariest photo I saw. Intersection of Centennial and Vindicator, about one mile from my parent's house. |
 |
| Map of the burn area in relation to my parent's house. |
Thankfully, the LORD answered our prayers and were able to stop the flames from spreading after that dreadful day. Several homes burned, but I am SO thankful that only two lives were lost in the blaze. That is an amazing testiment to the effectiveness of the Colorado emergency responders. It was a devastating tragedy, and was very emotionally draining. But those stats really helped put things into perspective for me. The crisis was more personal than 9/11 or the earthquake and tsunami, but unlike lives, homes can be replaced and new trees can be planted. God has proved Himself faithful time and again, and I am so thankful.
 |
| Some of the cheery flowers the ladies in the squadron got me to help me feel better. They are the best! |
No comments:
Post a Comment