Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Job: Portrait of a Godly Man

How many of you have really studied the book of Job in earnest? I've read it a few times and was confident I understood it. But last year I read The Bravehearted Gospel by Eric Ludy and it totally revolutionized my opinion of this "unfortunate" Biblical character. What he wrote has permanently stuck in my brain and is helping reshape my idea of what a Godly man (or woman) looks like. For those who don't own the book, here is a transcript of the page I'm referring to:

Anyone who has spent much time studying the book of Job knows that whereas it is a profound declaration of God's power and glory, it is also a rather uncomfortable book to read. Why?

Because we are all afraid of being Job...

...why in the world God is spending even a moment of His time bantering about with Satan is one of the befuddling things about this story. However, what usually grips our attention is this whole notion, "Hast thou considered my servant Job?" That could easily read, "Hast thou considered my servant Eric?" or "Hast thou considered my servant (insert your name here!)?"

It's funny, but whereas most of us would love to be noticed by God, applauded by God, and selected by God for the most important tasks, there is a very large part of us that does not want God bringing up our name in conversation--especially with Satan, the enemy of our souls. After all, for those of us familiar with the story, Job goes on to lose everything--his children, his estate, his livestock, his health, and his dignity--all because of this crazy conversation that, in all of our minds, was ill-conceived on God's part in the first place.

Long and short, there is hardly a one of us on planet Earth who wishes to be Job. Sure, he sounds like a wonderful man, but most of us are willing to forgo the "wonderful" description to avoid the misery that this man incurred.

I have spent a lot of time, thinking, studying, and praying about this man's life. I recognize that there is a part of me that wishes to back away from being made available to God in such a manner. There is a part of me that wishes to remain anonymous in Hell. There is a part of me that just utterly resists the notion of publishing my address on Satan's bulletin board with a message that reads, "Bring it!"

But this cowardly part of me is growing lesser and lesser with every passing month. And there is another part of me that is awakening, finding its legs, and discovering its growl. There is an ever-increasing bravehearted part of me that is wanting precisely what Job had.

In fact, if I could say it succinctly, I want to be just like Job. (Ludy, p.23-24)

This winter I challenged some of our older boys in the youth group to read through the entire Bible, cover-to-cover. To help motivate them, I turned it into a race. Who are they racing? Me of course. First person to finish wins. Of course, I want them to actually get something out of it too so I'm not pushing the speed so much as the life-change associated with really digging into the Word.

On my own journey through the Bible, I recently arrived at the book Job. Considering what I read last year in The Bravehearted Gospel, I decided to take my time studying this story and make a note of every description of Job's character or actions. What I found was profoundly challenging. So I thought I'd share my list with all  who seek to be Bravehearted Christ-followers and invite you to join me as I strive to be more like Job.

Portrait of a Godly Man (based on Job 1-7, MSG)
  • He is completely honest
  • He keeps his word/promises
  • He is totally devoted to God
  • He hates evil with a passion
  • He takes sin seriously and repents first thing in the morning
  • He is a friend of God and has a close relationship with Him
  • When tragedy strikes, his first response is to worship
  • He is humble and accepts both the good and the bad from God
  • He has integrity, even under fire
  • He has great discernment and can tell the difference between right and wrong
  • He encourages and motivates other hurting or lost people
  • He has never blasphemed God
  • He has lived a devout and exemplary life
Take a minute and consider the list. Which traits strike you most and why? Which are the most difficult for you and which do you think you possess?

It's true that Job suffers a great deal at the hands of Satan, but ultimately God rewards him for his faithfulness by DOUBLING everything he had in the first place. So I think it's worth it to live with a target on our backs. Sure it's risky - but what's life without a little adventure?

No comments: