Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Samurai Change of Command

I can't believe we've already been here for about two years! Our first day in Misawa was our Commander Aaron "FANG" Steffens' first day on the job. But the time has come for him to pass the mantle on to a new commander. We absolutely loved serving under the Steffens family. Not only were they fabulous leaders of the squadron and genuinely cared about our pilots and their families, but they were strong Christians and set a great example for us. We were a little concerned about who would take over for them. Who ever it was would have some very big shoes to fill. But Gene ("OWNER") Sherer and his wife Marlie are fantastic people and I know our squadron rests in very capable hands for the next two years.

Jenn Steffens always joked that I was like her personal family photographer and so it was only fitting that they hired me to capture all of the special family moments during the ceremony. Below are some snapshots of the wonderful event honoring both Samurai families!

Steffens family with the Samurai mascot. The boys were terrified!!
The Sherer Family
OWNER (left) and FANG (right)
Our pilots stood in the center of the hanger for the whole ceremony
presenting the colors
My friend Becky Jantz and her daughter Emily sang the Japanese national anthem
Our Ops Group Commander Col. Shaneyfelt presided over the ceremony
FANG's farewell speech. I love that he gave all the credit to God!
Final salute
OWNER takes command
OWNER's speech was great too. Looking forward to his leadership!
Sweet moment where he thanked his wife and gave her flowers
The kids were not forgotten
WOOD!!
Current and past sqdn. commander's wives - I love them both!
Sherer family, all decked out in Samurai yellow. Love it!
Group photo with the squadron
There was also a nice reception with cake and fruit
The Lady Samurai in attendance with Marlie. We love her!!

We will miss the Steffens but I know there are good things in store for us in the future!

No comments: