Thursday, March 29, 2012

New Healthy Habits

Spiritual issues aside, I've made some big strides toward consistently eating well and taking better care of my body. I didn't make all of these changes at once. My journey toward healthy living began during our first year of marriage. I started with one or two small changes, and slowly added to those good habits over time. Below is a list of some of the things I do regularly now. If you haven't yet, I encourage you to consider making similar changes. I honestly don't miss many of the things I've cut out and enjoy eating what I used to consider "diet food". I'm not on a diet, I'm just ensuring that what I put in my body is nutritious and beneficial. These days it's actually really easy to eat well. You just have to be willing to cook a bit instead of going for the "easy" option...
  • I take a daily multivitamin to ensure I'm getting the nutrients I need every day.
  • I carry around a Camelback water bottle to make sure I stay hydrated.
  • I don't drink any soda or caffinated beverages except on special occasions. (Maybe once or twice a month when we eat out...) If I need something more flavorful than water, I drink sugar free 100% fruit juice.
  • We cook at home instead of eating out all of the time. When we do eat out, it is rarely at a fast food restaurant. Granted, that is much easier now that we are living in Japan. Avoiding fast food will be a struggle when we visit or move back to the U.S.
  • I always buy whole grain or whole wheat products. James and I both try to make sure we get plenty of fiber each day which helps us feel full for longer and helps with our digestive health.
  • I don't eat any fried food. I also avoid foods that are soaked in grease, butter or oil. Without my gall bladder to help break that stuff down, those foods taste good and then make me feel TERRIBLE afterward. Not worth it.
  • I always look at the nutrition info on frozen or pre-packaged foods and avoid things that are high in sodium, and saturated and trans-fats. If you haven't before, you should check out the nutrition info on a pint of Haagen-Das or a DiGiorno pizza. It's scary.
  • We have significantly cut down on our salt intake. Whenever possible I buy lower sodium sauces and products. I also don't cook with a lot of salt. Instead I flavor our food with herbs, fresh citrus juices, and black pepper.
  • I always go for leaner meats and often supplement our protein intake with lentils and quinoa (a gluten-free grain similar to rice that is high in protein and fiber).
  • We eat brown rice instead of white rice, and often eat sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes. In general we try to make good choices regarding starches.
  • I only keep healthier snack options in the house so when I'm hungry I won't totally derail my healthy eating plan. Instead of chips and cookies, we have a lot of fruits and veggies, lightly salted popcorn, nuts, healthy ceral bars, etc.
  • I opt for healthier, lower-calorie spreads and dressings for salad and sandwiches. Mustard, light Italian, vinegrettes, using avocado or hummus to give a sandwich or wrap some creaminess and flavor in place of cheese and mayo... You get the idea.
I've got two new things I'm working on right now with moderate success. First is controling my portion sizes by actually measuring things out and using a smaller dinner plate or bowl to trick my mind into thinking I'm not skimping on food. I'm also trying to significantly cut back on the amount of sugar and chocolate I eat. Chocolate is the one thing I thought I'd never be able to live without. But reading through Made to Crave gave me the motivation to start weaning myself off of sugar and finding comfort or rewards in better things. So now I only allow myself to have one small dessert or chocolate item per day. I know I still eat lots of sugar throughout the day. My healthy fiber cereal is lightly sweetened, there's sugar in the pasta sauce I buy, and I'm pretty sure my lactose-free milk is sweetened. But at least I'm not overindulging in sweet treats instead of dealing with my issues.
I've also committed to getting in at least 3 good work-outs in a week. But more on that in my next blog...

No comments: