As usual, I apologize for the long silence on the blog. It has been a very busy season for us - for two very exciting reasons. First, springtime has FINALLY arrived in Misawa which means we've been getting out and exploring a lot more during our free time. Second, because we have a couple of new Misawan's to do that exploring with. Yes, Ryan and Lacey Worrell have arrived in Japan!
For those who may not remember, Ryan and James have been good friends since the Academy. After graduation they went on a long road trip to see a baseball game in every major league stadium in the country. Ryan was a groomsman in our wedding, and James returned the favor a couple of years later when Ryan married Lacey. For three years they were stationed at Hill AFB in Utah, but now they are here in Misawa and we are so excited to live in the same place for a full year!
 |
| On the baseball trip - jumping for joy in St. Louis! |
 |
| The four of us at Ryan and Lacey's wedding in Tahoe. |
The two of them have taken to life in Japan like ducks to water. Right away, they found a house in our neighborhood, which is very convenient. We enjoyed showing them around the local area and introducing them to some of our favorite restaurants and scenic spots. They are eager to get out, explore, learn the language and the culture, and generally make the most of their time here. This is great because James and I are equally motivated to see and do as much as possible so we will leave Japan with no regrets a year from now.
 |
| Discovering yummy treats on their first trip to the 100Yen Store |
 |
| Their first Pepper Lunch experience - ordering food from a vending machine |
 |
| Great friends. Our favorite food in Japan. Life doesn't get any better! |
One of our most memorable trips so far was visiting Shipwreck Beach with some friends. We did the standard tour - taking photos with the weathered, beached boats - collecting sea glass - etc. Ryan mixed it up a bit by skipping rocks and seeing how far he could fling any plastic floats he found into the water. We were constantly amused by his antics and enjoyed some good conversation while soaking in the beauty of northern Japan.
 |
| Fun picture I took of the two of them. =^) |
After we were done hiking and foraging for treasure - we stopped at the legendary tofu donut shop just north of the beach for a much needed snack. I've heard nothing but great things about this place for the last two years but had yet to try one. We can't figure out if the batter has tofu in it, or if they just sell tofu products in addition to donuts... But either way, these are by far the best donuts I've ever had in my life. I'm ashamed to say that between the two of us, James and I downed 8 of them during the hour long car ride home. They were perfectly light but moist with a hint of sugary goodness to make it sweet, but not sickeningly so... I look forwrad to my next trip up there so I can have another one (or three...)
 |
| The tofu donut shop |
 |
| The first of many... |
Aside from just enjoying reconnecting with old friends and going on fun excursions, we are so thankful to have the Worrells here because they are both very dedicated Christians and we have enjoyed many deep discussions and encourage one another in our pursuit of holiness multiple times a week. Ryan and Lacey are now a part of our Sunday night Bible Study group and it has been wonderful seeing how much the guys have grown since I first met them. I think the next year will be a good one! =^)
No comments:
Post a Comment