Tuesday, May 29, 2012

True Love Waits

We recently finished up our annual True Love Waits series, which culminated in our banquet and ceremony on Saturday, May 12th. True Love Waits is a program that encourages students to study what the Bible has to say about purity and to make a public commitment to abstinence until marriage. This year we dug a lot deeper into the Word and had much more practical, hard-hitting discussions. The students challenged us with a lot of good questions, which certainly kept us on our toes. But we were happy to discuss because it meant that they were really thinking through things that too many of their peers take for granted. I think it was a pretty powerful program and I am so proud of the 17 students who chose to make a public commitment to purity for the first time at our ceremony!

I enjoyed coming up with a cost-effective theme for our banquet at the club. Last year, we decorated everything in black and red with large flower arrangements in the center of each table. That was rather expensive though, and so this year I got creative and borrowed elements from several friends to create a pretty Japanese beach theme. We used mirror tiles, crystal bowls, votives, silvery fabric, sea glass and antique sea floats, sea shells, and large glass wine jugs people bought while stationed in Italy to create beautiful and unique arrangements on each table. I only purchased two flower arrangements to put in the wine jugs, but they were stunning! It was a lot of work but created a magical atmosphere that I think the students appreciated!

The funny Engrish logo the Japanese catering staff created for our event. Haha - very thoughtful, but just not quite right.
Once again, we gave each girl a tiara symbolizing their worth as daughters of the King.
Me with my friends Mike and Pandora Wan, who are a huge help with our youth
Me presenting gifts to one of the high school girls I worked with
All of the girls got hugs and the boys didn't want to be left out... ;^)
Me with all of the young ladies making the pledge
Our Godly men in training and their mentors
We transitioned to the chapel for the sanctuary. Great turn out this year!
The talented Shawn Kelley lead us in worship again!
One by one, the students and their families came up to sign their pledges and receive their rings
We all shed a few tears over these precious family moments


It was a very special event, and I am so thankful to have been a part of it! These students challenge and humble me on a regular basis. So blessed to be a part of this important ministry!

1 comment:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Magical describes it well. Everything was lovely.