Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Spring Photo Experiments

With the blooming of the cherry blossoms and the change of season comes a myriad of requests for family portraits. Most of what I know about photography is self-taught through trial and error. So before I launched into my busy schedule of paid sessions, I asked a couple of friends to model for me while I scouted out new locations and tried out some new techniques. Below are the fruits of my labor. I recently overhauled my photography blog so if you would like to see more of my recent work, please check it out!
I will be taking engagement photos for some friends soon. Their one request was for their photos to be taken during the "golden hour". This special time right after sunrise and before sunset gives skin tone a beautiful glow and creates some very cool effects in-camera. I've captured it a few times before, but purely by accident. So my new friend and photophile Kristina offered to model for me as we figured out how to capture that beautiful buttery light on purpose. Check it out:



I also needed to find some newer, more diverse locations to take portraits in front of cherry blossoms. So Lacey and I went in search of the Swan Park. Again - this is something I've heard about for the past two years, but I had never been there. I was blown away by this place. The park complex is HUGE and beautifully landscaped - full of pockets of trees, grass, rocks, creeks, lakes, lilly ponds, benches and gazeebos galore. We had a great time walking around, taking silly photos and participating in the sacred Japanese tradition of "hanami" - which I understand means enjoying or celebrating the beauty of the cherry blossoms.


Love it!

No comments: